As a beauty blogger, I obviously write a lot about various beauty products and beauty or skin care tips for the purpose of maintaining one’s appearance. Passionate as I may be about said topics, I can’t help but feel a little shallow at times. Are beauty products the end all be all of one’s beauty? I certainly hope many will agree with me that it definitely isn’t. And this is where Renee’s BeautyFool comes in.
Renee, who turns 21 tomorrow (HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SWEETIE!), delves deeper on topics concerning beauty than the usual eyeliner and eyeshadow post — she actually gets into the nitty gritty of beauty. Posts like Imperfection is Beauty, and How to Start Building Self Esteem inspire readers to look beyond the exterior and to find beauty from within. Something not many beauty bloggers discuss as often as one would like (hey, I’m guilty, too!). So refreshing, no? Well, I finally got to have my Beauty Talk with Renee, so read on for the rest!
1. What inspired you to create a beauty blog and what message do you truly hope to get across to your readers?
I created Beauty Fool after my love for writing, design, blogging, beauty. Of course, not forgetting the most important beauty of all – inner beauty. This includes topics such as inspiration, life, women’s issues, stress, health, etc. I’m just very passionate about creating an online outlet for topics I feel strong about!
2. I’m loving the play on with the word ‘beautiful,’ how did you come up with such a witty site name?
I would love to say I came up with it, but my very creative friend though of it! I modified it slightly, though, so I can take some credit.
3. What one beauty product do you wish the powers that be in the beauty industry would just hurry up and invent already?
I think anything that zaps zits in 5 minutes flat would be pretty popular, don’t you think?! Although, personally, I would love something that makes hair grow faster – every time I have a hair mishap (which is often) I always have that long, painful process of growing my hair out. My hair is ridiculous, I highly doubt it even grows!
4. Us beauty addicts/junkies love to try new things out; however, we also can get carried away in our excitement. Care to share any beauty mishaps?
I wrote a post on all my beauty mistakes (http://www.beautyfool.net/what-are-some-of-your-past-beauty-mistakes/) on my blog… too many to write here! I guess the one I really regret is the permanent damage biting my nails did to my teeth!
5. “Tanorexics” dominate North America whilst porcelain white skin is every woman’s ideal in much of Asia. What do you think of this interesting contrast between East and West?
I think it’s very interesting, don’t you?! It just goes to show there is no “one way” definition to beauty – all shapes, sizes and colors are considered beautiful.
6. Taking care of ones skin goes beyond just putting on SPF, using good moisturizers, creams, or serums. What health/lifestyle/etc. tips can you share that nurture the inner aspect of beauty?
Number one rule to inner beauty is taking care of your soul! Surround yourself with good people, laugh everyday, forgive, have faith, and don’t take yourself too seriously. The number one lifestyle tip I would have is to not stress – life is way too short; you could do without those stress related breakouts, and you could do without those sleepless nights! Took me a long while to figure all this out, but it has been well worth it! I also highly believe in a good spa day once in awhile.
7. If there was such a thing as Beauty Rehab, which celeb would you like to see admitted and why?
Hmm… I don’t like to judge others – for all I know, I could need beauty rehab! But Amy Winehouse needs beauty rehab and rehab in general, doesn’t she? I think that crazy eyeliner needs to go!
8. Care to share any recent beauty buys you regret?
Gotta say I’m really lucky – so far, nothing has been a regret. For a beauty blogger, I guess I don’t spend that much on products! I like to really research and test them out before I fork out my money on them (products are getting expensive now a days, huh?!).
9. What three beauty products can you not live without?
Lip balm – I love Rosebud.
Dry shampoo – any one will do, my hair needs all the help it can get!
Last but not least – some good old dark eye makeup. Whether it’s mascara (love anything by Lancome) or a nice dark eyeliner (love M.A.C.) I just need something black around my eyes!
AhhHh… I’m suddenly feeling like sitting outside with a cup of my fave drink — coffee, relax, and watch the day go by. I definitely agree with Renee’s answer on inner beauty. Stress = negative energy and more wrinkles. Who would want that, right?! I don’t! It really is true what they say about positivity bringing out one’s innate beauty. Renee, you’re wonderful! I hope you had a rockin’ birthday (since you’re a full 12 hours ahead of me!) and keep up the amazing work at BeautyFool!